Saturday 24 September 2011

My heart broke

So today, after much canoodling between my no.1 and my no.2 


(it's the first time Luca picked Nina up in his arms), he then threw a tantrum and said that he "hated" his little sister and wished "she went back in my tummy".

Now... I know this is fairly normal behaviour when an older sibling gains a baby, but I just burst into tears. Post-pregnancy hormones, coupled with tiredness and breast feeding aches and pains just spun me out and I started weeping.

Luca looked at me oddly "Why the hell is she crying?" was written all over his face, then stormed out of the room, slamming his bedroom door in the process as if he were already the 15 year old he so wants to be...

Thankfully after a little chill out time on his own, he came out saying "I'm sorry". Bless him. We had a massive cuddle and he swiftly said "I love my sister, I just don't like her crying".

It must all be so confusing for him... I mean, it is to us, as parents. One moment baby is safely tucked away in my belly, the next it's here, in my arms, wanting food, and cuddles and growing before our eyes.

I think I will have some mummy and Luca time, doing what we both love to do best.

Day-Glow Ginger Bread Cookies

Recipe (taken from the Waitrose website):
This recipe for gingerbread can be used to make a whole range of decorations, gifts and, of course, gingerbread people. I get Luca to help roll and cut out the dough, and to decorate the biscuits.

Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Makes: about 25 gingerbread people

Ingredients

  • 125g unsalted butter
  • 100g dark muscovado sugar
  • 4 tbsp golden syrup
  • 325g plain flour
  • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 2 tsp ground ginger
  • Icing in various colours (optional). We make it ourselves with Icing Sugar and a little lemon juice, plus many natural day-glow food colourings

Method

  1. Preheat the oven to 170°C, gas mark 3. Line baking trays with baking parchment. Melt the butter, sugar and syrup in a medium saucepan, stirring occasionally, then remove from the heat.
  2. Sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ginger into a bowl and stir the melted ingredients into the dry ingredients to make a stiff dough.
  3. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll to a thickness of about 5mm. Dip biscuit cutters into flour before cutting the dough. Place the shapes onto the lined baking trays and bake, in batches, for 9-10 minutes until light golden brown.
  4. Remove from the oven. While still warm, and using a skewer or chopstick, make any holes that you will need to hang up the biscuits with ribbon or to make a garland.
  5. When completely cool, decorate with the icing. The gingerbread biscuits can be stored in an airtight container for up to two weeks.

Yummy!



    Followed by a game of 100 Pin Bowling on the Wii!!! Luca thrashed me...

    No comments:

    Post a Comment