Sunday 9 October 2011

In a Flap-jack

I'm officially the One Handed Woman.

Holding Nina in one arm (as she just doesn't want to be put down), has resulted in me cooking, typing, going to the loo, cleaning up and doing the laundry with one hand.

Usually the right hand, but I am noticing that my left arm and shoulder is bulking up like a body builder, because even though Nina is a small little creature, she is HEAVY. That relaxed weight over my left shoulder is proving to feel like a big sack of Basmati Rice.

In the midst of me holding Nina, I managed to make a

FLAPJACK

 
one handed.

It's easy making Flapjacks, and you can literally pack them full of your favourite nuts and dried fruit.

I found a recipe for Honey Flapjack, on the BBC FOOD website, which I then also added Peanut Butter to, just to give it that extra crunch.
Great for lunchboxes or post-school snacks... or breastfeeding, one handed mums, who need all the energy they can get.

This is how it went (use one hand only... for extra flavour):

Ingredients

200g/7¼oz unsalted butter
200g/7¼oz demerara sugar (I used half the sugar they suggested and added Maple Syrup instead, to avoid too much of the "sugar rush")
200g/7¼oz honey
400g/14¼oz porridge oats
50g/1¾oz nuts, dried fruits or glacĂ© ginger, chopped or desiccated coconut (optional)
(I also added three large tablespoons of crunchy peanut butter)
You will also need a 20cm x 30cm (8in x 12in) cake tin, greased

Preparation method

  1. Put the butter, sugar (or maple syrup) and honey (and peanut butter if using) in a saucepan and heat, stirring occasionally, until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
    Add the oats and nuts, fruit, ginger or coconut, if using, and mix well.

  2. Transfer the oat mixture to the prepared cake tin and spread to about 2cm (¾in) thick. Smooth the surface with the back of a spoon. 
    Bake in a preheated oven at 180C/350F/Gas 4 for 15-20 minutes, until lightly golden around the edges, but still slightly soft in the middle. 
    Let cool in the tin, then turn out and cut into squares.
 Simple.

Even with only one hand... I wasn't in too much of a Flap-Jack!

No comments:

Post a Comment